Have you wondered what pictures you want for your website? With the huge role electronic marketing in our world, we have to consider our personal and professional image on social media, our website (s), and all of our visual products. We're talking business cards, postcard mailings, our thank you notes, profile pictures, blog posts, website images and all the social media posts.
I recently published a blog post about Personal Branding. Be sure and take a look at that because it'll help you decide what you might need. It'll save you some time and help you to focus. Learn from my mistakes!
Why do you want images? What is the purpose?
Obviously, we respond to quick messages. Most of us don't spend time to read very much. We respond to images and images often send messages faster than words. Our words need to be succinct, meaningful and easy to read. The images must support that message. This is where it gets a little tricky. Let’s break down how to pick the best image for your needs.
In the image above, Tonya asked for an image that would show she is open, warm, fun and that she is a speaker. If you visit Tonya's website, you'll see a variety of images with different purposes. Her photoshoot took about 2 hours and we had at least 3 different clothing/background changes. We made it easy with a jacket/sweater change and a little jewelry change. She also got a few beautiful images for her personal use that were a little more 'glamourized' than she might want on her website. MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR PHOTOSHOOT!
Where will you place these images:? Blog, website, social media, all paper marketing items?
Lets talk about the WHAT you’ll need first and then I’ll talk a little about the different ones for each groups.
You’ll need a variety for these- Hit for 80/20- 80% business related- education, things related to your business and 20% about yourself. Your business is YOU. We all have a lot of choices about who we do business with. Most of us are more likely to do business with people we can relate to. Therefore, you need something that shows your personality. There is a line, of course between what is relatable and what is too much personal info. Shoot for personality. For my business, I show behind the scenes shots of my photoshoots. I have some goofing around because my makeup artist and I really do have fun during our photoshoots. There are often tears when ladies see themselves in ways they’ve never seen themselves before. It’s life changing-that’s the word I hear over and over. I work toward images, slideshows and videos that show this- the music is emotional. People want to know you as much as what you do because trust is so important. In the times of so much social media and lack of face to face contact, what we put out there on the internet is even more important.
Are you afraid of losing customers if they know something about you they won't like? Yes, this can happen. This is where you'll want to consider the following: WHO IS YOUR IDEAL CLIENT/CUSTOMER? If you are clear on this, then you will attract the clients you want. This will need to be another blog post because it's a HUGE topic!
Questions for You to Consider for Your Own Marketing Needs
This is Tonya Hofmann giving us a variety of images she uses for her own marketing needs.
For You to Consider
What images do you want? Here is a guide-
- Get set with your brand and be consistent. Not just color but tone of your message. What do you want to say? What is your message? You need to be very clear. I worked on this by asking myself WHY over and over? With each response, I asked 'why' again and again. I thought of what I wanted to do and kept asking why.
- For me- Why did I want to write a book? To tell a story. Why does the story need to be told? The world needs to hear what I heard every day talking to people with dementia. Why? Because they're not able to tell their stories in the midst of their crisis. Why would they want to? I had to ask them about this and they TOLD me! Why include images? It tells the story with even more emotion.
- Why keep asking why- for clarity. It gets confusing otherwise. Your BRAND will become a reality.
- There is so much more to do with Branding-this is a tiny tip of information. I'll post other blog posts soon.
A few resources I like:
- Unconscious Branding: How Neuroscience can Empower (and Inspire) Marketing Author: Van Praet, Douglas
- How to Style Your Brand- Everything You Need to Know to Create a Distinctive Brand Identity. Author: Fiona Humberstone
Looking for Stock Images for your Website?
You've got many choices. Some are free and some are not. You can purchase videos, vectors, images and other cool stuff. There are copyright considerations of course. Rather than get into this in detail myself, I'm going to give you some awesome blog post links.
Copyright and other laws throughout the world automatically extend copyright protection to works of authorship and databases, whether the author or creator wants those rights or not. Here's a great article but warning- it's not real easy reading but still great: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/CC0_FAQ